For Technology & Automation Vendors
Technology & Automation Vendors
Incredible advances have been made in the automation of pharmacy systems in the last thirty years. Unit-based cabinets, automated carousels, infusion pumps, compounding workflow management solutions, and their associated software have all changed the way pharmacies operate. With each new breakthrough, new reductions in labor and improvements in data integrity were sought and accomplished. UnitVisID Certified RFID systems, referencing a central repository of historical data on each unit-of-use medication, hold the opportunity to further these advances by driving key improvements.
Improving Existing Systems Not Already RFID Enabled
Many systems already in use today can benefit from enhanced functionality without even including an RFID reading device. For instance, 1,000+ hospitals and healthcare organizations rely on UnitVisID systems to restock the contents of their dispensing cabinets. While an RFID-enabled cabinet is feasible, merely allowing the UnitVisID system to update the contents of the cabinet that is being used to restock accomplishes the same level of time savings to pharmacy users. Any system-to-system handoff workflow from an existing UnitVisID system can benefit in the same fashion, with one software integration to the UnitVisID Registry driving unlimited numbers of lookups and transactions.
RFID Enabling Existing Systems
Many systems are ready to benefit from built-in RFID reading capabilities. Carousels that can inventory themselves save users from manual inventory audits. Narcotic vaults that can query their contents after being accessed are always up-to-date and make diversion nearly impossible. Patient administration systems can carry the unit-of-use medication's unique serial number all the way to the patient chart. RFID is not the solution to every automation problem today, but where it is, UnitVisID allows for an optimized approach.
High Level Benefits
- Access to independent 3rd party testing facilities
- Testing procedures for newly developed hardware
- Defined API endpoints to query and exchange data on scanned unit-of-use of medications
- Free lookup of items in UnitVisID Registry, with relevant history attached
- Licensing agreement with the UnitVisID Alliance
Requirements for Automation Vendors and Solutions
Only a UnitVisID Certified product may bear the UnitVisID trademarks. To obtain certification a member must:
- Adhere to specification requirements set by the UnitVisID Alliance
- Work with ARC Lab to ensure any RFID read points accurately read with other UnitVisID Certified Product
- Connect to the UnitVisID Registry to identify UnitVisID Certified product and update the Registry with key events such as Beyond-Use-Date updating
Testing & Certification for Automation Vendors and Solutions
- Submit self-certification test results showing adherence to the UnitVisID Specification
- Pass ARC certifications
- Complete a trademark licensing agreement with the UnitVisID Alliance