For Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
UnitVisID Certified pharmaceuticals products are medications of preference for 1,000+ hospitals and healthcare organizations today. These products allow for a differentiated offering for manufacturers that choose to provide it. However, to realize this value, a manufacturer has to meet two key requirements:
The pharmacy environments in which RFID is used makes high performance a tall order - hundreds of fluid-filled glass and plastic containers being read at one time, in seconds, with no margin for error. That means the inlay - the industry term for the combination of antenna and integrated circuitry that makes an RFID work - must be designed for the specific and challenging use case of application to a fluid-filled container being read in a densely packed environment. The UnitVisID Alliance’s 3rd party testing evaluates every inlay in every downstream reading device to determine what products will read in which automation devices, and provide pharmaceutical manufacturers with a compatibility roadmap.
Once an appropriate inlay has been selected, the manufacturer can be assured that the hardware will read the inlay when applied to the product, but read what? UnitVisID is much more than the barcodes on today's unit-of-use medications — it doesn’t simply identify what a product is, it provides a history of the item that captures every location, handling event, or status change allowing for the tracking of data like beyond use expiration, medication compounding history, and recalls. Additionally, the cloud based UnitVisID Registry makes tracking your pharmaceuticals easy. Without the UnitVisID Alliance Registry, a manufacturer would need to implement a direct connection to thousands of nodes of dozens of different types for this information to be propagated to every system that needs to consume it. The UnitVisID Alliance's approach allows for one registration event by the manufacturer enabling an unlimited number of exchanges of data throughout the pharmaceutical product’s entire lifecycle.
High Level Benefits
- Portfolio of inlays designed for the specific package size and type
- Testing facilities for new inlay designs if needs not covered by existing portfolio items
- Proven line automation strategies and hardware to convert packaging lines to RFID and UnitVisID Certification
- Network of label converters with experience producing high-quality pharmaceutical labelling
- Single source of registration to enable every downstream hospital use case
Requirements for Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
A finished pharmaceutical label or pharmaceutical product may be designated as UnitVisID Certified by meeting requirements for certification that are established by the UnitVisID Alliance. Only Alliance members with UnitVisID Certified products may use the UnitVisID trademarks.
To meet those requirements, a product must:
- Adhere to all of the requirements of the UnitVisID Specification
- Use a UnitVisID Certified inlay
- Use a UnitVisID approved Tag Data format
- Register the product in the UnitVisID Registry
- Undergo a 100% quality check to ensure accurate data
Testing & Certification for Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
- Submit self-certification test results showing adherence to the UnitVisID Specification
- Pass the ARC certifications
- Complete a trademark licensing agreement with the UnitVisID Alliance